YWAM Schooner Ruach
A unique opportunity exists to own a modern classic expedition/charter schooner.
S/V Ruach was lavishly refitted in 2012 as a vessel capable of training or expedition charter and until recently has been in use as a medical and training vessel to remote locations as part of YWAM Ships Newcastle operations.
Built by Blumenthaler Werft, in Germany (launched 1986) to Germanischer Lloyd SE to GL100 A4 standard sailing yacht.
In 2012 a full and complete strip down & refit including cabins, machinery, plumbing sailing gear and electronics was carried out bringing her up to code with the current survey regulations.
The quality standard of this yacht meets the quality requirements of modern charter sailing yachts and the traditional shape of the hull integrates all advantages of the modern steel ship building. S/V Ruach’s safety equipment and fire protection are up to code with the current survey regulations.
From a present day perspective, the long keel ship with “clipper stem” and schooner rigging is really a remarkable vintage looking ship.
• Vessel built 1986 Bremen, Germany.
• Extensive refit Virtually rebuilt 2012-13 Elsfith [near Brake] Germany. Old interior fitout removed, back to steel hull/bulkheads. All machinery removed and either replaced with high-quality installations or – as in the case of the Mann main engine- taken back to manufacturers and remanufactured. New masts, rigging, sails, running rigging, marine electronics, gensets etc.
• YWAM Ships Newcastle [Ownership CI maritime] May 2016. P&I, H&M insured continuously since
• Hired redwise to reposition to Newcastle Australia arrived Jan 2017.
• Commercial flag-in “Special Purpose Vessel.”. Autopilot fitted, Smoke detection, Extensive engine room Fire-protection.
• 2017 made “Ambassador for the City of Newcastle” by Lord Mayor 2017.
• 2017/18/19 deployment to Milne Bay PNG under MOU MBPHA.
• Dry-Docked x 4 since 2016. Last Dry-dock Urangan, July ’21. Close to original condition, antifoul, topsides, decks, wooden railing done. Blue accents on bollards & 2nd deck coat due Jan’22.
• Items in Engineering report such as Webasto water-heater repaired and fully operational. Deck-mounted generator to be removed.
• Sail Wardrobe: fair. Needs new flying jib, balance range from near new-very good-fair. Believe many doubles. 450m2 sail area.
• Registration status: Have been advised not to update eg. with Cook Islands, as new owner likely change flag state in any case.
• Fire extinguishers/life rafts just been serviced. Auto-pilot needs replacement head. 3k [whole installation cost 49K 2016].
Summary: Ruach is not a 1986 vessel in any practical application. 4.3mil [6.5 m AUD] euros to fit out to modern standard completed 2013. Well in excess of $1m AUD YWAM spend including skilled services in kind. YWAM not expecting to recoup all these fit-out expences, but considers her a rare, bespoke and beautiful example of a modern tall-ship, of manageable size, capable of providing significant commercial returns to a new owner for many years to come.
Learn more at: